Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Not an Obligation, But a Challenge



Like a crazy woman, I signed up for NaBloPoMo this year. (By the way, I hate this abbreviation. It's so difficult to pronounce.) I signed up about a week ago, and I am of two minds about it.

My initial reaction is dread and fear. What if I run out of things to say? Will I be forced to wax poetic about my pajamas? Or the few TV shows I like? Or the time my dad had us sell Monoracers at Venice Beach? Wait... I better stop now, I might want to use these next month.

But the more I think about it, the more excited I get. Initially, I started this blog as a way to reconnect with my writing. And it has worked marvelously. I'm writing every week, I've connected with other writers across the world, and I'm much happier in my creative life. So, if this blog is an extension of and a commitment to my writing life, then posting once every day is just a once a day commitment to my writing life. The more I post, the more I commit to writing. Plus I can stretch my writing muscles by having to write every day. It's challenging and disciplined. Music to a Capricorn's ears.

Besides, even if I wake up one night in a cold sweat (despite my pirate pajamas) and realize I need to post an entry, it only takes five minutes or so. Right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

More than 3,000 people have signed up. Wow.

Anonymous said...

You will SO not run out of things to say! I believe: the more you write, the more you write. Blog on!

Jessica said...

ceridwen -- i don't think i can keep up with 3000 blogs (now up to 4500).

PWADJ - thanks! I'm inspired by yr double nano!