Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Grand Opening: Asphalt Sky Literary Journal



I am thrilled to announce the opening of submissions for a new online literary journal, Asphalt Sky. Asphalt Sky's motto:

...Plant Your Feet...

...Arch Your Back...

...Reach Towards the Sky...




Asphalt Sky will publish poetry, prose, and artwork on a biannual basis, perhaps more often, depending on submissions. This journal will be dedicated to the publication of emerging artists and writers who present engaging and thoughtful work.

For more information...

...read Asphalt Sky's manifesto.

...read Asphalt Sky's submission guidelines for art, poetry, and prose.

...email me at asphaltsky at gmail dot com.

Why start an online literary journal?

I'm coming up on the year anniversary of this blog and I've been astounded by the quality of poetry and prose that I've found here amongst my blogging community. I hope to help formally publicize and publish a small fraction of the work that's inspired and motivated me to work harder.

How can you get involved?

The easiest way would be to submit your work. Submissions are open until December 31, 2007 and I'm looking for a good sturdy issue's worth of work before I publish.

I would also appreciate it, if you like the manifesto and what I'm trying to do, to tell others about it. I know that while I've carved out a little space online for Asphalt Sky, that space only becomes bigger through word of mouth.

Last, if you have a little free time to spare, I am looking for an editorial board. If you're interested, please email me at asphaltsky at gmail dot com. Later tonight, I'll post an editorial board announcement on the Asphalt Sky website for more info.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I love the name "Asphalt Sky" ...

Wishing you the best with this!

Deb said...

Exciting project. Congratulations. I'll be happy to link and send some poems your way :-) as well as tell my in-the-flesh-poetry-pals. Be careful what you ask for ;^}

Anonymous said...

This is some AWESOME news and I am so happy for you and your new literary journal. I'm going to submit a few pieces, since I've been out of the poetry world for a while and am desperately scratching, clawing, and biting my way back in. Good luck with everything, you deserve all the best!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!

A piece of advice: asphaltsky.com and asphaltsky.org are available. You might want to purchase them through godaddy.com before someone else snags them ~ in case the project really takes off (which it will). You can even keep the project hosted on blogger but have a redirect to one of those URLs so the project looks more official.

Jessica said...

Hello everyone and thank you so much for your initial support. I am of course a little wary and nervous about this whole project, so I'm lucky to have all the cheering.

Thank you especially Ceridwen for advice about domains. I've been slowly researching this and trying to come to an affordable and attractive solution, so I appreciate the hint. :)

Jo said...

Jessica this is so great. Big pat on the back from me.......you are so motivated!

Anonymous said...

No problem. godaddy.com has good prices. I would only go for private registration, and none of the other bells and whistles. They try to get you to buy all kinds of extras you don't need. It should only end up costing about $16 for a year. (That's not hosting, though. Hosting is a whole separate issue.)

Marie said...

You will be amazing in this project! You have a way of connecting people, and you are great at critically analyzing poetry. It should be fun and rewarding for you...enjoy!

Is there a specific kind of poetry you are looking for? I have some amazing writing friends.

Jessica said...

Hi Marie --

I would love it if you would forward your friends my URL -- www.asphaltsky.com. Listed there is our submission guidelines for poetry.

I'm basically looking for authentic, well crafted poetry that is rooted in sensory detail. Until we develop our first issue, I don't know if I can define it more than that.

Thanks for keeping the word of mouth going!