Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Time Capsules


Someone at work today brought up the idea of time capsules, and I've been thinking about them all day. There was a building at his college that had a time capsule from 1964 embedded in the foundation, and they are tearing that building down. He really wants pictures of what's inside.

Remember those time capsules you created in grade school, where you wrote a letter to an older version of yourself or everyone in class was allowed to donate one object to the class capsule? My brother and I once tried to make a time capsule to bury in our backyard, but I don't think we actually got past the planning stages.

I think I'm interested in time capsules today, because it requires taking ordinary objects and turning them into artifacts. These seemingly insignificant things can become significant, when we choose to recognize them. What are the daily objects from our lives that can be elevated to an artifact, simply by saving them? What are the objects that represent what we really are, here and now?

It's details like these that I think make poetry and it's the act of noticing these details that I think makes poets.

3 Comments:

Marie said...

This sounded like a good prompt for writing a poem...or pieces to create a collage...hmmmmm maybe a word or picture collage of our time capsule items...You've got my creative juices flowing...

I'm sad that I haven't visited in awhile...I've busy, but that's no reason to be a bum...ha-ha..I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Donetta said...

I could not agree more. I think the reflection of such thought is provoking. What is it we devalue yet one day might treasure and long for in its simplicity.
A child's smile, the army guys we painfully step on? Our husbands droplets of coffee on the laminate floor? The dog hair that annoys us now?

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Though if you own an ipod, I don't know if a timecapsule is the place for it, just yet ;-) Maybe a few old cell phones would look good in there :-)

(Blogging Chicks)