Saturday, August 25, 2007

One Less Scrappy Woman In the World

Unfortunately, Grace Paley, noted feminist author and poet, died on Wednesday after fighting breast cancer. (Why do all the good feminist writers get breast cancer?) The New York Times published a fantastic article on her life and times in today's paper. She will be sorely missed in the writing world, not only for her work but for her teaching and activism.

While Paley is more well-known for her short stories, she began her career as a poet. After searching around for a little while, I found a poem of hers I remember reading in college, The Poet's Occasional Alternative. I don't know whether to bake a pie or write a poem in her honor.

2 Comments:

Jo said...

What a beautiful piece. Thanks for the NYT link, I will read it later.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Grace !!