Thursday, August 2, 2007

An Exciting Day for Depressing Surrealists Everywhere...

Charles Simic has been named Poet Laureate of the U.S., according to this NY Times article. I love this choice because Simic is such a departure from the more recent group of Laureates, like Hall, Kooser, and Collins. These are all fine poets, but they don't scare me with their imagery, as Simic often does. It's nice to see the Librarian of Congress make a choice that represents the diversity in today's poetry.

4 Comments:

Deb said...

So true. He is amazing. I had the crazy expereince of getting to hear him read twice in one day earlier in the year (He read at noon at Marylhurst and again in the evening at a public reading.)

I wrote a tiny bit about it at
http://stoneymoss.blogspot.com/2007/04/napowrimo-411-and-lifted-lines-again.html

Jessica said...

I've never had the pleasure of hearing him read, but I wish I could. Now that he's Poet Laureate, maybe he'll do a reading in our neighborhood. (A girl can dream.)

...deb, Great poem, by the way, that comes before your impressions of the reading.

Anonymous said...

And I just pulled all his books off my shelf last night to read through them. I must have sensed it.

Yes, this is a good thing. A very, very good thing.

longvowels said...

Yippee! I always have my class read a couple of pieces from him.