Thursday, August 16, 2007

R.I.P. PT

I am very sad to report that Poetry Thursday, my favorite poetry site on the web, announced today that they will be closing up shop at the end of the month.

The ladies at Poetry Thursday, Dana and Liz, created a wonderfully giving and inspiring community that I was lucky to be a part of for a little while. I really appreciated being able to get feedback and support on my writing, as well as an automatic deadline -- every Thursday. I also am lucky to have found the blogs of other like minded writers who create and work and live their real lives. It definitely made me feel less alone in my commitment to my poetry.

Luckily, they mentioned that there is a new poetry related project in the works, so hopefully the community will continue in a new evolution. Until then, I'll have to actually give myself deadlines and stick to them. Sigh!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I can always send you deadline e-mails each week ~ that ought to get you writing, don't you think?

Jessica said...

No... I can be a big kid and make my own.

Deb said...

Couldn't agree more. I'm in a state of shock, nearly.

On another topic, as I am still not sure what to think yet about PT gone and the possible new poetry site: Any thoughts about another poetry book for September, skipping August?

I'm still intersted. I wouldn't mind an every other month thing. Perhaps even starting back in October if you are wanting a longer break.

You can post here or at Stoney Moss or send a note to flkr at comcast dot net if you'd like.

(Nice work on the recent posts.)

Jessica said...

Hi ...deb,

I got in a little bit of a slacker funk this month, but I'm pulling myself out of it. Work got busy and I kind of forgot/ignored the Poetry Book Club. However, this weekend I will put a poll widget for the next set of books and we'll definitely do September. I think we'll need it now more than ever, since PT is out for a while.

Thanks for the reminder and the feedback! :)

Jessica said...

Hi ...deb,

I got in a little bit of a slacker funk this month, but I'm pulling myself out of it. Work got busy and I kind of forgot/ignored the Poetry Book Club. However, this weekend I will put a poll widget for the next set of books and we'll definitely do September. I think we'll need it now more than ever, since PT is out for a while.

Thanks for the reminder and the feedback! :)

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly...I miss PT very much. I had just told my niece about it who was excited to have a forum to share things...

I am awaiting with anticipation about the next new place and I'm excited we'll keep our little community.

Anonymous said...

So if PT was as important to you as you claim, why not pick up the slack and create a new and inproved poetry website of your own.

You will have plenty of deadlines...quite a few every day and you'll help foster an institution that you are so "mad" about.

J. Lowell
Los Angeles

Jessica said...

Yeah, yeah. Easy for you to say, Dad. :P The PT ladies had to work very hard to run that site and I know they dedicated a lot of their free time to the effort. It really showed! Maybe when I have more free time... (snicker)