Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dear Diary...


According to this LA Times article, there's a new-ish performance art movement in NYC involving teenage diaries. Apparently, once a month there is a Cringe reading, where people in their 20's and 30's read excerpts from their junior high and high school diaries. It's played for laughs, most of the time, but every so often there is also the painful realization about hating parents and life.

I think this is a brilliant idea, for someone else. I cannot imagine reading my diaries out loud in front of an audience. I have a stack of them in my basement, that I kept sporadically from 16 years old through now. They're mostly writing journals, but some of them have diary style entries. I blush when I read the ones from college. And I'm the only one in the room! It takes a lot of chutzpah to be able to do this type of reading. Chutzpah that I don't quite have.

0 Comments: