Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Reading List 2008: Promoting Peace through Education

I just finished reading Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a Time (337 pgs) by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I was smart enough to read this book for double purposes: a book club at work and my March review for Uptown Neighborhood News. Which I have to write tomorrow. And will post a link to, once its available online.

Since I don't want to squander my enthusiasm for this book before the review, let me just give a brief recommendation. If you are interested in the humane solutions to the real roots of terrorism or if you care about human rights issues around the world or if you want to learn more about Pakistani and Afghani culture, read this book. Also, if you want to feel like a lazy slob who could do more good in the world, read this book.

Total For 2008: 1496 pages
Genres: Memoir (1), Essay (1), Graphic Novel (1), Non-Fiction (2), Poetry (1)

4 Comments:

Deb said...

I'm so glad you read it. It is an amazing true story.

Deb said...

Sigh.

It seems I waited too long to get the next PBC book in time to read it. (I have to order it from either of my favorite bookstores.)

How is it going for you and the others?

Jessica said...

Hey deb,

I am about halfway through the pbc book. I got it off of Amazon, which is my typical modus operandi for poetry. At least they carry it.:)

I'm not in love with it yet, it seems to be just OK.

Happy book hunting!

susan said...

This is currently on my tbr list. I just finished Thousand Splendid Suns and loved it. If you haven't read it, I recommend it. Education and fighting terrorism runs through this work as well.

Looking forward to reading your review.