Friday, February 15, 2008

Back into Practice

These past couple of weeks, I've been doing many things, but writing isn't one of them. I've been keeping up with my articles, for the most part, but I have stopped my daily writing on the bus and I haven't been able to regularly keep up with prompts from read. write. poem.

So, I've decided to change my daily writing practice a bit. I haven't enjoyed the morning pages, so I've decided to write one syllabic quatrain a day. I began writing syllabic quatrains in graduate school while writing my thesis, because I figured, if I could get out at least 40 syllables, that was good enough. Several times, I've written quatrains around a theme and then brought them together in one poem. Right now, though, I'm not thinking that far ahead. I'm merely trying to get my hand moving.

So, I began writing quatrains on Thursday, and I now have three. Funny enough, they all center around the last RWP prompt of sacrifice, so I'm submitting them belatedly for RWP. (I haven't even started on my ode, which is due on Monday.) I may not publish my daily quatrains every day, but I will try to post the ones that I've found interesting.

On Sacrifice

When wanting, I'm left with the metal
tang of blood on my tongue, remnants of skin
clipped from cuticle, chewed from the soft
flesh of my cheek. I never wanted more.

(Tuesday, February 12)
* * *

I've lived with less, intentionally, less
creased books and wrinkled receipts, less shopping
malls crammed with clothes. I laid myself prostrate
on acrylic counters, begged for my price.

(Wednesday, February 13)
* * *

Today, I woke from weeping dreams, hiccups
and sighs I've hoarded for years. I only
recall bright glimpses of someone else's
treasures, glittering hopes I've long since lost.

(Thursday, February 14)

4 Comments:

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

I like #2 the best of these three-- the other two are good, but seem a little more conventional somehow.

Deb said...

These are marvelous. I think this is a lovely structure for you (IMHO!)

#2 Has more mystery. Yet there are broad and cirlcing themes in them all.

Unknown said...

I've fallen off the writing wagon as of late myself, other than work related....I must say that it was the first one that reached me, only because I saw myself within it...very good take on the theme.

Penelope Anne
RWP @ http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/2008/02/read-write-poem-sacrifice.html

susan said...

I haven't read much poetry lately and reading your blog tonight is cool, sweet water. Like what you do.