Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reading Goals for 2008

If you haven't noticed by now, I like to have goals. In fact, I would say that I'm driven by them. Big goals, little goals -- it doesn't matter. They're comforting and they make me feel like I've accomplished something. For the new year, which suddenly feels right around the corner, I would like to develop reading goals. I've already joined my husband's Reading Challenge, but I think I'd just like a list of books I can try to whittle down while I go through the year. I'm a pretty fast reader, and I tend to down 2-3 novels a month, and I'm always craving more.

My problem is that I don't know where to start. With my new job, I have access to a huge academic library, plus a series of interconnected libraries throughout the Twin Cities. This is in addition to my handy card at the local library and my addiction to Amazon. Between these three temptations, I feel almost dwarfed by the possibilities. On Monday, I spent half my lunch hour strolling through the library trying to settle on a book. I picked Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad, which is good, although a little didactic. Now I'm done with it and I want another one. Such is my life.

I'm hoping to develop a list of 25 books to reference, so that I can spend my lunch break reading rather than waffling between books. So, I'm open to suggestion. Poetry, fiction, non-fiction -- I'm pretty omnivorous. If you have any suggestions for my reading list, please let me know! Last time you all did a wonderful job! Thanks for the help!

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Goals are fine if they don't control us.

Jo said...

The Disappearing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell is very fine, Jessica.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Anything by Haven Kimmel, but first The Solace of Leaving Early.

Becca said...

Since you listed Jodi Picoult on your list of favorite authors, you might also like the work of Dennis McFarland (The Music Room, School for the Blind, Singing Boy, and Letter From Point Clear) and especially Julia Glass (Three Junes, and The Whole World Over).

Anonymous said...

I'm reading War and Peace in the new Pevear/Volokhonsky translation, it is delightful and it will keep you busy for a while!

Jessica said...

Paul -- My goals do have a way of getting out of control at times. I always wonder if I should rein it in...:)

Jo -- Thanks! I've never heard of this author, so I'd love to jump in.

BipolarLawyerCook -- Great suggestion -- love the title!

Becca -- thanks for the author suggestions. You've reminded me that I should finish up the Jodi Picoult bibliography as well. Thanks!

Kent -- wow. I like goals but, geez. War and Peace? It's always scared me off. That could be the whole reading list. Kudos to you for going for it.