Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two Fall Haiku (or Requiem for Summer)

Fall has already arrived in Minnesota with a loud cold *snap*. I woke this morning to frost on the neighbor's rooftops and a brisk chill in our building's hallways. With the season's early change, I've been writing (and reciting) these two haiku beneath my breath for the past two days.

This morning, I decided to take a quick walk and take some pictures to accompany them. I wore flip flops and my toes got so cold I had to run back inside. I miss summer already.



Becoming Dormant

Flowers don't sour
at summer's end, they reveal
their brittle brown husks.


* * *



Awakened

Haze evaporates
to crystalline blue skies. Clear
light breaks through thick clouds.

* * *
To see more pictures taken on this morning's inspiration walk, go to my flickr site!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good haiku.

Jessica said...

Thanks, Paul!

Jo said...

Lovely, I'm a big haiku fan.