Thursday, September 13, 2007

So I'm New to This iTunes Thing...

...having just purchased an iPod a month or so ago. (I used a different company's mp3 player until it died.) I typed "poetry" into the podcast directory, and found the coolest video! Of course, I can't figure out how to post it on this blog, so instead I'll just describe it and strongly recommend it. You Internet-savvy folks will surely be able to find it.

The podcast is called "National Champion Performance Poets" and the episode is called "Bao Phi, Doug Kearney, and William Harris 2002 NPS Finals Showcase." The three artists, two poet/speakers and one beat boxer, performed a poem with the refrain "We meet at the crossroads of convenience stores, in a galaxy of bullet proof glass, chanting a battle hymn of broken English." It is a long poem exploring the stereotypes of African Americans and Asian Americans and it is powerful!

I am proud to note that two of the performers are from Minneapolis. Bao Phi is a well-known spoken word poet who is based in Minneapolis. The beat boxer, William Harris, is also from Minneapolis.

0 Comments: