Friday, September 7, 2007

Po Bronson Made Me Do It

Way back in May, I began reading Po Bronson's book, What Should I Do With My Life?. I've really enjoyed it, but found that it was bathtub reading, in between all the other books I was reading. I finally finished it today, in the bathtub, of course.

While reading this book on and off all summer, I knew I needed to do something different with my life. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy my job, but it's draining. It's a lot of grading, a lot of conflict management, and a lot of extra hours. Hours I should be spending on my writing. So, I slowly began to look around, to see if there was anything better out there. Luckily, I think I found it.

I am happy to report that at the beginning of this week, I was able to put in my notice at my current job, to accept another position at another school. Instead of teaching and administrating, as I do at my current job, I will be coordinating. In fact, I will be coordinating a new office at a local college (15 minute bus ride from home, rather than a 30 minute commute) that will serve 5 master's degree programs. I get to work an alternative schedule, get be closer to home, and get to be hourly, instead of salaried.

The best part -- I can take classes for free at this school. Their art department has website design, book arts, and photography.

I start my new position at the end of the month and I can't wait!

7 Comments:

Jo said...

Well that's great news.....congrats! I look forward to reading the poems!

Jessica said...

Thanks Jo -- now I have the time (and the pressure) of producing. Just like I need. :)

Deb said...

Congratulations! This sounds like just what you were needing-wanting!

Jessica said...

Thanks ...deb! I think needing-wanting is a good way to describe my process. I've definitely been needing-wanting a change and this could be the right one!

Anonymous said...

Good luck !

Donetta said...

Oh how wonderful for you! It sounds like a hot bath did you a whole lot of good.

Jessica said...

If only all of my baths were so productive. :)