Monday, January 1, 2007

Politicians Who Piss Me Off #2


It's a political day... I am way behind the curve on this one, but I just read it in a year in review section in Minnesota Monthly magazine. Tim Pawlenty, our Bush-clone governor in Minnesota, vetoed a bill creating a state poet laureate position. That's not so bad, if he chooses to spend the money on education funding. (Fat chance, but one can dream.) But in a letter describing the method behind his madness in the veto, he wrote:

"Even though we have a state 'folklorist,' I also have concern this will lead to calls for other similar positions. We could also see requests for a state mime, interpretive dancer or potter."

I shudder when I realize that this man has just been re-elected to our governorship for another term of rule. Goodbye arts, hello ignorance.

0 Comments: