Sunday, January 28, 2007

#1 -- Friday Night in January, Uptown


I don't know what it is about my need for lists and numbered things, but I love them. I had a flash of inspiration this week. I decided that I want to write 100 Urban Haiku, just for practice and because I can. I don't know how long this will take me. I don't know what the shape of the project will be. But, I should become familiar with the unknown. At least, that's what my writer friends tell me.
I'll post my results up here, when I have them.

Friday Night in January, Uptown

Bare legged girls laugh
like a murder of crows. High
heels slip on black ice.

2 Comments:

jillypoet said...

What a great idea! I really like this haiku. "Like a murder of crows." You know, I have run across many poems lately with crow references. Hmm... I hope you keep up with your 100! I have a kindergarten art student who is trying to draw 100 snowmen.

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comments, jillypoet. I'm glad you like the crows line -- I've been a little obsessive about crows lately.

I like your kindergartener's project. Do the snowmen vary as the student makes them? How did the student get the idea to make 100 of them?

The student's idea kind of reminds me of Wallace Steven's "13 ways to look at a blackbird," speaking of birds.