Monday, January 15, 2007

The Full Monty

The prompt this week on Poetry Thursday is to post a line of your own poetry for someone else to incorporate in his/her own poem. I left the line "Lonely as traffic jams," from this poem.

This poem was the result of an exercise in grad school where we modeled a poem after another writer's poem. It's been so many years, but I believe this poem was modeled after an Al Young poem about a place he lived, but I cannot find it online. :)

Los Angeles/A Screenplay

I too
once lived
in this city

bare feet hopscotching
over melting asphalt,
jumping over
almost visible
heat waves

gray ocean devouring
discarded broken
bottles, tiny
toes, brown sand
castles

avenues lined with palm tress ten stories high
all bowing
towards the setting
sun

moonlight upstaged
by glittering streetlights
and 100's of cars
slowing to a stop.

Lonely as traffic jams,
I lived there too.

0 Comments: