Monday, February 12, 2007

#4 -- Above the Buildings, I See


I'm noticing that with these haiku, I'm becoming more observant. There is always this thought in the back of my head that I'm gathering images for the haiku. Then, when I see those things that make me think, "That would be good for a poem," I don't have to store them up and wait. I can simply address the image in 17 syllables.

I also like that I'm becoming more aware of nature. Since haiku technically have to have a reference to the season within the lines, I have to connect myself to what's going on outside of the hum of traffic jams and people. This, so far, has been an interesting practice. At least that's what I think at number 4. Talk to me at number 46.

Above the Buildings, I See

Waxing crescent moon
in cobalt dawn skies and I
pray for early light.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Speaking of "getting back into poetry:"

No better way to do that than through haiku. One thing the foray into fiction did was make me very wordy. It's good for my blog, but not so much for my poems!