Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hell Hath No Fury...


For this week's Poetry Thursday post, I was inspired by Patricia Smith's Hip-Hop Ghazal, which appears in the current issue of Poetry magazine. I think she really captured the flavor of the music, in a traditional form. So, I applied the ghazal form to the music I listen to, angry alternative chicks like Ani DiFranco, Regina Spektor, Tori Amos, and the like. Enjoy!


What My Song List Tells Me

Anger echoing off fret boards, thick with scorn and unsung rage,
her lyrics like my teenage diaries, torn from unsung rage.

Voices plaintive as breaking plates, echo off our earphones while
we walk for miles. Even our shoe soles are worn from unsung rage.

Every man a mystery, an anonymous stranger or
long lost daddy, leaving us roses, thorns tipped with unsung rage.

Every night is Friday night, every fight a catastrophe.
We keen alone in broken basements, dreams borne from unsung rage.

What else are we to do with this, our broken fingernails and
calloused hands? Girl, pick up your guitar, perform your unsung rage.

Outside your song tracks and flashbacks, your life is now quiet,
you once wore spite like a spiked choker – mourn your lost unsung rage.

10 Comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I have a similar music list so was particularly interested in your poem!

Anonymous said...

I never tried an English Ghazal!

Maybe becos I listen to urdu ghazals most of the times.

Jessica said...

Hi crafty green poet-- thanks for the comment. I'm glad your common interests connected you to the poem.

Hi gautami -- (liked your post, btw). I would love to hear an urdu ghazal -- i've heard they're quite different from the English ones and that English ones never truly capture the form. Although Robert Bly has a pretty interesting book of English ones, called "The Night Abraham Called to the Stars."

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is fun to read aloud!

I've just gotten interested in Robert Bly, right now enjoying his object poems.

patti said...

This was great!

Tumblewords: said...

You are good! Wonderful...

Marie said...

Interesting way to do your poem. I have to try something like this sometime. LOVE, absolutely LOVE the pink guitars...

Deb said...

Hi Jessica. "Unsung rage" has such sharp insight into those "lyrics like my teenage diaries". Captures the fire.

Boy (is this a gaff?) you handle form. Inspiring.

claireylove said...

your poems always make me want to write...you are definitely a poet's poet :)

Catherine said...

I haven't tried a ghazal yet, but I like what you do with it