Thursday, May 3, 2007

Planting Season



I've been writing a lot of these domesticity poems lately. I started over a year ago with two and then a fallow period for months. Since I've been writing seriously again, they've been occurring to me more often. As a series, I don't know where they're going, but I like them.

Domesticity Poem #4

Despite the stream
of rush hour traffic below,
the plumes

of exhaust, and all day
noise, together,
we have done this:

pushed impossible
small seeds into peat,
watered and waited.

Now, days later,
on our narrow stucco
terrace, in a plastic

hothouse, tender tendrils,
green and white,
unfurl under our eyes.

For the first time in years,
we have coaxed
something new

out of something small,
hard, and cracked open.
Each new morning,

I marvel at the shoots
sending new fragile roots
into the soil,

at the minuscule
fleur-dis-lis leaves
reaching towards the sky.

9 Comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

the joys of planting seeds and watching them grow!

Beaman said...

The simplicity of this piece makes it quite wonderful. Nice observations and good structure.

Left-handed Trees... said...

I am fascinated by the idea of your Domesticity series...this poem is wonderful. I hope you'll share more of them.

gautami tripathy said...

I loved the poem becos of its simplicity and readabilty.

BTW, I am doing a stationery series.

Regina said...

There is just something so refreshing about this poem... it is its simplicity, I guess. It just makes me relax as I read it!

Rob Kistner said...

Superb Jessica -- tastefully sparse and elegant. A joy.

--and so it goes--
...Rob

Pauline said...

"For the first time in years,
we have coaxed
something new

out of something small,
hard, and cracked open."

This is such an insightful comment on whoever was doing the planting...

Deb said...

I was delighted by so much in this poem.

I'm with Delia. More please.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. For deb & Delia, I do have another Domesticity poem posted on my blog. Here's the link. It was for another PT prompt.

I don't know what I'll do with them, but I like them. :)