Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Want An Invisible Jet!



I'm not entirely certain where this idea came from, but as soon as I read this week's Poetry Thursday prompt to create a dialogue with someone else in your poem, I thought of Wonder Woman at Wal-Mart. Maybe I'm reading too many comic books...

Saturday at the Super Wal-Mart

I see her in the automotive aisle,
puzzling over oil weights, silver bracers

resting against the red rail of her cart.
I wonder who goes shopping in a star-spangled

leotard and go-go boots. Her gold lasso of truth
is slung over her shoulder, like a purse strap.

The other women around us swerve
their carts at the sight of her, giving

wide berth. “Which one of these
is for salad?” she asks, hefting

a jug of winter weight oil. “Wonder Woman,”
I whisper softly, “you’re in the wrong aisle.”

She frowns, stands on her tiptoes, towering
over me, looking for her path. “Can you show me?”

Together, we navigate the wide white aisles,
strolling past lawn chairs and lozenges, magazines

and make-up. I can’t help but stare at her tiara,
at her blue black hair billowing past her shoulders.

“I know this is rude,” I venture, “but where
are your street clothes?” I try to imagine her

in an office, filing papers, answering phones.
“They ripped again, straight at the seams,

like they always do. Fifth time this month.
Besides, it’s not much of a disguise.” I nod

to agree and my eye catches the gleam
of her lasso. I wonder if she’s ever tried

to wrap it around herself and squeeze
until the truth comes tumbling out. I feel my thoughts

rise like bubbles in soda, and she reads
what I’m thinking. “It doesn’t quite work like that,”

she says, stopping at her aisle
dressing bottles stacked to the ceiling.

“It only works on everyone else,”
she says, before pushing her cart away.

20 Comments:

claireylove said...

You made me smile this morning ~ all that implied sado-masochism bubbling under WW's lasso. Very witty and rather surprising ~ I for one think there should be more poems about DC heroes :)

ren powell said...

This is amazing.

paris parfait said...

This is a fabulous poem! Very inventive.

Becca said...

Wonderfully clever and creative!

ren powell said...

tried to send a private email- alas. . . well, by the power of Isis!

Regina said...

Hee hee... very clever. And you know, I think I've seen her as well...
That whole bit about the lasso of truth not working on the owner... brilliant. And oh, so true...

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was so great!!!

Jim Brock said...

The ending is killer good! And it's just a fun, spirited, wicked riff all the way through.

Really good book by Jeannine Hall Gailey called Becoming the Villaness--you've a kindred spirit.

gautami tripathy said...

It is fun. Great rip-off. The ending is good.

Anonymous said...

Very well written, clever poem! The dialogue has a natural rhythm and flows seamlessly with the rest of the words. Thanks for sharing!

Clare said...

I love this and got a total kick out of imagining her at Wal-Mart. Super clever about her looking at the wrong oil for salad, too! Very enjoyable reading!

chicklegirl said...

You've given me something to look forward to when I make my every-other-monthly sojourn to WalMart tomorrow. I'll be sure to check both automotive and condiment aisles!

Really, there was something about this that was touching--the idea that even the wonder women need help finding things while shopping? I just know that it spoke to me, made me feel satisfied as I read it, in a way that I didn't expect when I first saw the title. Sorry--that probably makes no sense at all, but I really liked it!

Lisa Cohen said...

I enjoyed this start to finish. Nicely done! Thanks for the smile.

Jessica said...

Wow -- thanks for the great responses. I'm glad y'all liked the poem. I felt that it was a little weird while writing it, but there you go.

becoming amethyst -- I didn't expect anyone to go *there*, but I do agree that the lasso is a little kinky. :)

ren.kat-- i wish i had put "by the power of isis" in my poem. damn.

jim -- thanks for the book recommendation. I am a bit obsessed with the female archetype in myth and pop culture, so she seems just up my alley. For those interested, here is the amazon link.

wendy -- i agree. I was going to call them "f***-me" boots, but I thought it was too crass. time for revision...

chicklegirl-- if WW was at Wal-Mart, I sure would go a lot more often. :)

Thanks to all who stopped by and commented.

Deb said...

Fantastic (the best comic-strip adjective I could think of late at night)!
Works on so many levels.

Jessica said...

A friend of mine let me know that the lasso was intended to be kinky. Apparently, the creator of WW was into S&M, according to wikipedia.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I had so wanted to write something light-hearted like this for the PT challenge, but days of sleep deprivation hadn't done much for my sense of humor. But this is a real pleasure to read.

Marie said...

I always love reading your poetry. I wanted to do the dialog thing with a super hero, but I just didn't know how to go about it. I'll have to play with your form and see what I come up with. For now, it was fun to stop by and visit. I finally got my copy of Native Guard, but I'm finishing school. I shall do a post soon. Thanks for suggesting the book because I've really enjoyed it a lot. I grew up in this culture and it was nice to get a window into the culture I was surrounded by and didn't understand as well as I wanted to.

S.L. Corsua said...

Humor and wit went hand in hand and made love in this poem. ^_^ I've been heartily chuckling and applauding. Thank you for the fun, ingenious read.

Cheers.

(Incidentally, when I thought of WW, the image that popped in my mind was her incredibly small waistline... *green*)

Fred Garber said...

Great poem. I shop at Walmart all the time and I think that I saw her Memorial day at the Walmart on Floyd Boulevard in Sioux City, IA. She was buying some fried chicken.