Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year, New Beginnings


Every year, I do my best give myself goals. I hate calling them resolutions, because resolutions seem like they're made to be broken. Last night, as I started thinking of my New Year's Resolutions/Goals, I considered how happy I am. How lucky I am to have a wonderful relationship with my husband, friends that I love, family that I am close to. Then, I considered what I want to achieve or change in my life, and surprise surprise, most of it had to do with my writing.


So this year, my goal focus will be my writing. I cleared off the extraneous material on my desk's peg board, and I posted the following 5 writing goals.


1) Write 3000 words/week. (Result: 159,000 this year.)

2) Work on getting published in journals once a month.

3) Send out my book manuscript once every two months.

4) Maintain my blog consistently all year.

5) Make regular time in my life for my writing practice.


Some of these are tangible. I can keep track of how many words I write each week. (And I'll post my ongoing tallies here.) I can tell whether or not I've sent out my book or written on my blog. But my last goal is a little more intangible.


I am thinking about #5 in both literal and metaphorical terms. I can make sure that I am writing regularly, sitting at my desk every night. But, I also want to honor my writing as much as I honor other things in my life. Rather than consider myself a teacher who writes, I want to get back to the idea of the writer who teaches. Isn't that what good resolutions/goals are, the ability to make a significant change in your life? Getting back to my very first post, if not now, when?


0 Comments: