Monday, March 10, 2008

Drawing Cards


When I was in high school in California, I taught myself how to read tarot cards. It was my first step into my own independent, spiritual practices, and it opened up doors for me.

I don't read cards as much any more, mostly because I feel like I've answered my questions for now, but I still remember what it felt like to learn how to read them. So, when read. write. poem. had a prompt to interpret dream symbolism through tarot (among other methods), I was immediately transported back to that time.

Here is the daily quatrain that resulted:

Three of Swords

Everything was too big for me: width and
length of the deck in my hands, the questions
I tried to answer. Three steel swords piercing
my fragile pink heart. Too big, the burdens.


Note: If you click on the title, you can read an interpretation of the card. The picture is of the different "Three of Swords" cards from my personal decks.

5 Comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

So much said in these four simple lines!

Anonymous said...

I love these lines, Jessica. I know well the feeling of everything being too big. The image of the swords and the pink heart is spot on.

I've been meaning to tell you, too, that your idea for the quatrains journal is inspired. I'd like to link to your post about it when I write my next column, Get the Lead Out. The theme is "creating your writing space," and I thought yours would be a terrific example of self-motivation.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like how succinct this is and how much there is going on behind the words.

Tammy Brierly said...

Very nice quatrain that had many layers. Well done

dabby said...

you never needed any more words..
beautiful!